Wednesday, October 19, 2011

We All Are Captains...

...in the exciting world of film criticism, but some are more so, thanks to the weight of institutional authority. Such is the case with one of the most embarrassing movie reviews I've ever read, David DeWitt's inane take on Oliver Laxe's You All Are Captains for the New York Times, which, among its other sins, seems not to understand the work in question one jot.

I can say this because I've actually seen the film - which plays for one week at New York's invaluable Anthology Film Archives - and contributed my own modest take for Slant Magazine, one of five reviews I published this week.

New Releases
You All Are Captains (Slant)
Being Elmo (Slant)
Oranges and Sunshine (Slant)
Cargo (Village Voice)
Elevate (Time Out New York)

No comments: