Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wrapping 2012

As 2012 (the calendar year) nears its close, 2012 the film year has long since finished - at least for critics expected to file their year-end lists and ballots well in advance of December 31. The result is that my own contributions to several best-ofs have been already been published. I once again participated in Slant Magazine's collective top 25, although due to the increasing number of participants, my only contribution (writing-wise) to the piece was my capsule of Almayer's Folly (number 22 on the list). I also contributed to the Indiewire, Village Voice and Sight & Sound polls, although the individual ballots for the last of these three have not yet been posted online. Below are links to my year-end contributions plus my complete top ten and honorable mentions:

Slant Magazine's 25 Best Films of 2012
My ballot for the Village Voice Film Poll
My ballot for the Indiewire Film Poll

Best Films of 2012:

1. The Turin Horse
2. Oslo, August 31
3. This Is Not a Film
4. Holy Motors
5. Attenberg
6. Moonrise Kingdom
7. Vamps
8. Almayer's Folly
9. Girl Walk//All Day
10. The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Honorable Mentions:

Las Acacias
Barbara
The Color Wheel
The Day He Arrives
The Deep Blue Sea
The Five-Year Engagement
Keep the Lights On
Looper
Take This Waltz
Tears of Gaza

Another Five:

Booker's Place: A Mississippi Story
Domain
How to Survive a Plague
Silver Linings Playbook
This Must Be the Place

1 comment:

Matt said...

Good list. I'll be putting mine up soon. Need to catch a few more movies.